Approval from a local council or government authority is usually needed for proposed developments (unless they’re considered exempt or complying). It’s an essential part of the town and city planning process because the aim is to preserve the area to ensure:

• There’s good design
• The people living there can enjoy their lifestyles
• Any environmental impact is kept to a minimum

The person or company planning the development must lodge a development application with the appropriate authority. Once this happens, it becomes a public matter. You will be notified of the application if the proposed development adjoins your property.

During this process, you have the opportunity to object to the development.

In reaching its decision, the authority will consider:

• The development application
• Any objections
• Relevant laws and regulations

It will then write to the developer to advise whether the application is approved, rejected or whether changes need to be made before approval is granted.

“All materials throughout this entire website has been prepared by Unified Lawyers for informational purposes only. All materials throughout this entire website are not legal advice and should not be interpreted as legal advice. We do not guarantee that any of the information on this website is current or correct.

You should seek specialist legal advice or other professional advice about your specific circumstances.
All information on this site is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute a lawyer-client relationship between you and Unified lawyers.

Information on this site is not updated regularly and so may not be up to date.”