How To Get A Divorce
Our Family Lawyers are experts on divorce. This guide will answer all of your
This simple 7 step checklist for how to file for divorce will get you on the right track:
- Complete the Application for Divorce form
You can download the divorce kit at the Federal Circuit Courts site here
- Sign the Application for Divorce in front of a JP or lawyer
- File the following documents with the court
– The original + 2 copies of your divorce application
– The original + 2 copies of any other court documents (e.g. such as an affidavit)
– A copy of your marriage certificate
– A citizenship certificate or your passport (if required)
– application for a reduction of the filing fee, with a copy of your pension card or financial details (if required)
- Pay the filing fee (full rate or reduced)
At present the full rate filing fee for divorce in NSW is $865 and the reduced filing fee is $290.
- If required, arrange to serve your spouse and file proof of service with the court.
If it is a joint application you do not need to do this.
- Attend your hearing
Depending on your case, you may have to attend the hearing however this is not always required in straight forward cases .
- Obtain your divorce order from the court
It will take 4 months from the date of your application submission.
Common Questions About Getting Divorced in NSW:
The filing fees as of March 2019 are $865
You must allow a minimum of 4 months to receive your final Divorce Order (a.k.a. Divorce Certificate), this can take longer if you have any delays serving your spouse.
Yes. To Apply for divorce in Australia you must be separated for at least 12 months. You can only apply for divorce in Australia after you have been separated for a period of at least twelve months.