Sydney Building & Constructions Law Tips

Building and Construction Law

Our building and construction lawyers have profound understanding, knowledge, and experience in all stages of the building and construction process. Members of our team live and breathe the industry and have held positions as builders, estimators and contract administrators. This allows us to provide sensible, quality and practical legal services and cost-effective solutions.

Our primary concern is the needs of our clients, and providing excellence in serving those needs. We advise on a wide range of matters and offer a personalised service for you. With the complex nature of construction law and strict time limits that may apply, it is essential that you retain the expertise and knowledge of a building and construction lawyer.

We are Building and Construction Law Experts

We offer expertise and services in the following areas:

  • Construction litigation
  • Contract interpretation, administration, management & advice
  • Building & Construction Industry Security of Payment Act
  • Defect claims
  • Construction and contract claims
  • Opposing Development Applications
  • Professional liability & negligence
  • Insurance advice (in particular, advice on denial of indemnity)
  • Land and Property Compulsory Acquisition
  • Home warranty claims
  • Home Building Act 1989
  • Debt recovery
  • Insolvency & bankruptcy
  • Alternate dispute resolution, arbitration, and mediation
  • Tender and procurement

Worried About Costs?

Unexpected legal fees are a significant concern in any matter and can cause stress for many clients.

Avoid unexpected and unknown costs for your matter with Unified Lawyers.  Where possible, we provide you with detailed fixed fee costing for our services or a blended fee arrangement.

Unlike other firms, you will not see costs on your bill for phone expenses, faxes, postage and photocopying as this are our costs and not yours.

Security of Payment

The Building and Construction Security of Payment Act 1999 (NSW) (SOPA) was introduced to regulate the payment process in the building and construction industry and alleviate financial pressure. This was aimed at ensuring cash flow and reducing insolvency as well as providing quick and fair dispute resolution.

Our lawyers have vast building and construction experience for the preparation or defence of adjudication arising under the SOPA.

For specialist advice on SOPA claims or any other matters, please contact Unified Lawyers on 1300 667 461.

Denied Insurance Claims

It is a common misconception that your insurance policy will immediately cover you for all your claims. It is not only until someone makes a claim under their insurance policy when they realise that their insurer has decided not to cover them and have denied the claim.

One of the most common areas in which insurance disputes arise is where an insured makes a claim for indemnity under its policy of insurance relating to alleged damage caused by defective building works. In response to the claim, the insurer reserves its rights to decline indemnity or declines indemnity for the insured’s claim. In plain language, this means that the insurer considers that the insured’s claim is not covered under the policy or contract of insurance.

As a result, the insured may be placed with the prospect of defending against an uninsured loss. This may cause undue stress and costs implications.

If your insurer sends you a denial of indemnity or letter declining your claim, make sure you contact our property lawyers immediately. It is very possible that your insurer has made the wrong decision to deny your claim or simply made a decision without first obtaining all the necessary evidence and information. 

If this happens, you do not automatically accept the insurer’s decision. Call us so that our lawyers can help you dispute the insurer’s decision.

Development Applications

Development Applications (DA) are formal requests for permission to carry out a development on the land. Such developments may include the subdivision of land, the erection of a building, the carrying out of work, demolition or any other matter controlled by an environmental planning instrument. Most developments require a Development Application.

If one of your neighbours intending to develop or redevelop their property in a manner which you believe is unsuitable or damaging to your property, contact our Sydney lawyers today to discuss your situation and help you oppose the development application.